I managed to get quite a bit of work done tonight on both the server and client in my media box setup. I installed the ME-6000 motherboard in my non-silent case for the moment. The 128MB DIMM I bought for it doesn't work in it. I knew that the EPIA-M series was pretty picky about memory, so I bought name brand (Kingston) PC-2700 memory. I had to pull out a no-name 512MB PC-2100 DIMM I had laying around. Half a GB is WAY too much for the client. I realized tonight that I only have 256MB in the server (and now I know why I had an extra 512MB laying around...).
For some reason, instead of just getting mini-myth configured and installed right away, I had to go and get Myth working on the server. This turned out to require a kernel upgrade and way more packages than I had planned on installing. In the end though, I actually have a fully functioning PVR now. Without cable I don't get much of anything but fuzz. I can record it in 720x480 MPEG2 streams though.
After I got Myth squared away on the server, I turned my attention back to the client. I spend an entire 20 minutes getting things set up for the network boot. It even worked on the 6th try! Turns out when I migrated to a new subnet, I missed one IP in my dhcpd.conf. I played with the client a little bit, but there wasn't much I could do with it other than mess with the menu. Mini-myth can't even mount a smb share thanks to the lack of an smb.conf. The root fs is read only, so that'll take modifying the cramfs image which I'm not doing tonight.
At 11PM or so I was done geeking out and headed for bed. Not able to sleep, I did the most logical thing, paid my bills. Still not tired, I've now run my mouth off for a while. It's time to hit the hay now.Posted by wschuller at April 30, 2004 02:14 AM